Saturday 21 June 2008

Ricki Lake - Lake Bites Back Over Home Birth Row


LATEST: RICKI LAKE has taken aim at a leading U.S. doctor's group after officially publicly criticised her for promoting home births, insisting she was merely championing womens' right to choose.

Lake's documentary The Business of Being Born showed footage of her giving birth at home to her son Owen, now seven, and suggested hospital births could be problematic.

Officials at the American Medical Association reacted angrily, warning expectant mothers not to follow the Hairspray star's example - and insisting hospital births are still the safest option.

But Lake insists she was misunderstood. She explains, "Home birth was around long before hospitals were taking over. And I just think women need to know (the information) so that they can make the best choice for them.

"It's scary that (the groups) have sort of targetted me. And, you know, I'm all about choice. This is not unlike the abortion issue. I am pro-choice when it comes to childbirth and choices in birth. I'm not anti-doctor, I'm not anti-hospital."





See Also